This is the first recipe I have made from The Toasted Pine Nut’s Blog and I am sold. These banana bread buckeyes are delicious and I love that she included hemp seeds – non-animal protein is always a win!
To save time, I altered the recipe a bit. I didn’t melt the chocolate, instead I added ½ cup dark chocolate chips to the recipe. Once complete, I placed them in the freezer. Once I tasted the dough, I could hardly wait to eat them! I loved them cold, so much that I kept them in the freezer. When I wanted one I would take it out and let it sit for about 5 minutes. They were delicious on all the hot summer days. Fall is just around the corner, so I may try storing my next batch in the refrigerator, but they are yummy no matter how you store them.
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts, for sprinkling
- First, place the almond flour and hemp hearts in your food processor.
- Process for about 20 seconds until everything is chopped up and combined.
- Transfer the almond flour mixture to a separate bowl.
- Don’t go crazy trying to clean out the tub of the food processor, just try to get most out.
- Place the banana, peanut butter, agave, and coconut oil in the food processor.
- Process for about 30 seconds.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and process again for 5 – 10 seconds.
- Add the almond flour mixture and walnuts.
- Process until everything is combined.
- The batter will be super sticky. Allow the batter to sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- With damp hands, roll the batter into balls, dipping ¾ of the ball into chocolate and then placing on parchment paper.
- You may need to wash your hands every couple balls so they don’t get too sticky when rolling.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and additional hemp hearts, if desired.
- Pop in the fridge for 5 minutes then EAT!!